Thursday, October 30, 2008

typing with one eye open

Well, I cannot promise to be much more coherent then I was yesterday because I have definitely hit a wall when it comes to sleeping. It seems like just when I think it is as bad as it can be (the peeing, the waking up starving) even worse things come up (leg cramps, sore hips, stiff back) and I find myself grateful when I only wake up 3-4 times in the night instead of what feels like every 10 minutes. I wake up most days already exhausted but staying in bed is not an option because the stiffness and soreness hits a peak after 8 hours or so and only getting up and moving around makes it feel better so sleep is no longer an option after 7:30 AM or so.

Anyway, that's the story of why I walk around in a haze now and why it has become so difficult to write a real post the last few days. I was hoping it was just a post-trip hangover but am beginning to understand that it is instead the new status-quo. So, I will adjust, it just might take a little while.

Now, about my trip.

NJ is so beautiful this time of year, with the leaves changing, and I am really glad I got to see it for a couple of days. It was also incredibly, unseasonable cold so I didn't spend much time outside except for a brisk walk Monday morning with Cathy to get some exercise and check out the changing leaves and suburban Halloween decorations.

The shower itself was so overwhelming, with so many people and presents and I felt such love and gratefulness to everyone. I don't know if I can ever fully express how warm and fuzzy it all made me feel. My sisters, Cathy, Beth and Nancy, really went above and beyond in everything, from the invitations, decorations, cake, preparations, etc. They really thought of everything and on top of it all, gave us some really generous gifts, including a gorgeous quilt that Nancy made herself.

They even thought of what to do with all the gifts that were brought to the shower and will be shipping it down here to me this week. (and I, like a little kid, can hardly wait for it all to get here, though I really have a big job ahead of me now, making room for everything in our not-so-big apartment) We have already received a lot of big things (swing, bouncy seat, bassinet) all of which are still in boxes in the guest room/future baby's room but Chris and I discussed last night exactly how we will arrange things to make room for those things as well as the crib and dresser/changing table that we have yet to buy. Also, the room really needs to be painted (as well as our bedroom) and as much as I don't want to do it, my baby is not coming home to a house with scuffed-up walls, it just won't happen, and I think this may be the beginning of what "they" refer to as NESTING....

In other news, I went to see another pediatrician today and now we need to decide if we want to go to a big practice with slick offices and lots of doctors or a small practice in a charming office and only one doctor. There are many other things to take into consideration but for the most part, those are the big differences between the two and personality-wise, I really like them both so we will see. I don't have to decide until right before Kumar is born so I have a little bit of time to (obsess) weigh things.

On the way home from the pediatrician, I decided to give Kumar his first lesson in exercising his rights as a U.S. citizen.

I let him wear the sticker.

No comments:

Click here every day to help rescued animals!!

The Animal Rescue Site