Friday, February 6, 2009

miami winter blues

We have had quite a arctic blast the last few days and I don't think I need to tell you that people in Miami don't know what to do with themselves when the thermometer dips below 70, let alone into the (GASP!) 30's like it did the other night.

I always used to laugh at people in this town who would wear winter coats when it was in the 60's but after living here almost 5 years, I find myself less able to tolerate the cold but I will never become as delusional as some people.

A couple of weeks ago when we had our first "cold snap" the temps dropped into the 40's at night but warmed up relatively quickly during the day and it was close to 60 degrees one afternoon when I took Chewy and Jack for a walk. I put long pants and a jacket on the baby and covered him with a warm blanket and a hat and he looked pretty cozy to me. About 20 minutes into our walk, I ran into the UPS guy and the first thing he said to me was "You shouldn't have that baby outside today. It's too cold."
After looking at him in his short sleeved shirt and assuming he was joking, I laughed and said that I thought he would be OK. But UPS guy was undeterred. He went on to tell me that I should turn around right now and get that baby home before he got sick. Then he looked at me as if he was weighing a call to DYFS or if he would let it slide just this once but he was planning on keeping an eye on me.
All I could do was walk away. shaking my head.

Today I took the same walk and the temperature was again near 60 so I prayed I wouldn't run into UPS guy again. for fear he would put me under citizens arrest for child abuse. We didn't see him and I'm glad because Jack was obviously neither warm nor comfortable the whole time. (turn up your volume)


snoring baby from christina porter on Vimeo.

No comments:

Click here every day to help rescued animals!!

The Animal Rescue Site