Monday, February 2, 2009

one month today

Dear Jack,

I can't believe it has only been a month since you came to join us. It feels like a million years ago that I carried you in my belly but I guess that's how the human race has been able to keep reproducing because if I think about it really hard I kind of remember those last couple of weeks really stinking bad.

None of that matters anymore though because, besides the occasional bad day, you have been a great sleeper, a world-class eater, and generally the sweetest most beautiful baby I could ever hope for. I lay in bed with you at night and feel your warm little body so relaxed between your papa and me and I remember how warm you were the first time the nurse put your face against mine in the hospital and how I could actually feel my heart swell in my chest with all the love I had for you. It's such a cliche but I really don't remember what I did before you were here and I can't imagine ever being without you again.

You have gained over a pound this month and have regained those chubby cheeks you were born with. Your hair is getting lighter but it's also getting thinner and we are all hoping that the new hair that comes in is more like your father's because, while there are many good qualities you can hope to get from my side of the family, hair is not one of them and you will thank me one day for hoping this for you when you are in your forties and still have a full head of hair.

Every day you become more aware of your surroundings and stare at your papa and me when we talk to you and the other day you actually smiled at me and it was the best gummy smile I have seen in my whole life. We have started taking you out more and you are slowly adjusting to the world and its noises and all the people who coo at you and say you are so beautiful because really how could they resist that sweet face of yours?

I can't wait to watch you grow up and become the great man that I know you will be, but I also want to keep you this little forever so I can always kiss you and cuddle you and see you smile at me because I know this time will not last forever but I hope you will always know how much I love you.

Love and a Million Kisses,
Your Mama


No comments:

Click here every day to help rescued animals!!

The Animal Rescue Site