Friday, June 27, 2008

can i just sleep for the next 2 months?

Every July, Miami hosts the Swim Shows that include over a thousand different vendors and lasts 4-5 days. I have worked in the shows since I moved to Miami, and this would have been my third year in a row working for Warnaco, but the way I have been looking lately, I knew there was no way I could wear a bathing suit in front of hundreds of people almost a month from now. The agency was not exactly happy that I had to back out of it, but what can they do? I can't starve Kumar the first 4 months because mama has to make a couple of bucks.
TO make amends,I told them that I was working on a premature belly-bump and would be able to do maternity any day now.
They took me seriously. Every week now, someone calls and asks me "how the bump's doing" and if I can come in for some pictures to send to clients.
Now, I have been speaking for weeks about how large my belly is getting and posting pictures here of what I see as a gigantic bump but the truth is, it's just not maternity clothes ready. Most clients don't book girls for maternity until they are in their 5th month, because even with an early belly such as mine, it's just not rounded and pregnant-looking enough until then. People who really know me and see me often know that I kind of look pregnant but the random client would just think that I started to let myself go. Donuts and no crunches for a couple of months might net the same results.

So where am I going with this?

That I am stuck in maternity no-man's land. I was told to come in this afternoon "after you eat a burger and fries and whatever else you can eat" and take some pictures. I have a top that I bought last weekend that actually does make me look pretty large but the fact is that I don't want to get booked on a misleading photo and then show up at a job next week and have the client be like, "Uh, sorry, there must be a misunderstanding. We booked a pregnant model."

So what do I do? I am going to call over there and plead my case and see what they say. If she insists I go over there anyway, I will but it's just silly I think.
I guess that's what this business is all about.
Just plain silliness.

No comments:

Click here every day to help rescued animals!!

The Animal Rescue Site